Tuesday 11 May 2021

Mrs Adichie: The Registrar that Gave me a Second Chance

By Osita Chidoka
29th April 2021

Oooh noo, Mrs Adichie is dead. Sad, my procrastination no go kee me. In 1995, my mates had left for NYSC, and I moved between Nsukka and Enugu campus struggling to graduate. My years of student activism, unfocused igbu oge and grand ofala festivals at Kenneth Dike Hall had caught up with me. Avoiding Police Area Commander Alobi and standing on June 12 meant that my school work suffered. 

Upon graduation, I had about six credit load above the semester maximum by my final year. The Deputy Registrar in Enugu campus and the faculty officer insisted that I register for an extra semester and retake the courses. I was devastated. My NYSC call up was out, and I was deployed to Abuja, my dream location. My Roommates Azubuike Alvan Ikoku and Nkumeh Okoronkwo  were on their way to Abuja and Suleja, respectively.

In my never say die spirit, I went to Nsukka and approached the Registrar, Mrs Adichie. She listened to me patiently, empathised and said this is an issue, but I should come back the next day. I thanked her and left.

The following day, she said a few other people have this same problem and had accepted their fate. Since you persisted and came, she said,  I will write a memo to the school Sole Administrator Professor Gomwalk for approval to increase the credit load. If he approves, then you can graduate with your mates. That was five days to close of NYSC camp. She wrote the memo.

Every morning I resumed at her office waiting for that approval. By the third day, I was getting agitated. She was cheerful, gave me bananas and groundnut, that Nsukka variant. She was pleasant in an infectious way. People came to her office sad and left smiling. On that  3rd day, she waited in her office past closing as the Sole Administrator's secretary informed her that he was treating his files. Around 5 pm, the approval came. She wrote, and her secretary typed a letter to the Deputy Registrar Enugu campus conveying the approval. Against her motherly advice, I left for Enugu around 7 pm. 

She showed no irritation throughout my loitering around her office, did not ask me where I was from or my family name. Mrs Adichie dealt with me as a young adult in need of a second chance but scolded me for my carelessness. She gave me hope and a new beginning. 

I went back to Enugu, got my clearance and left for Abuja on the last day of camp. At 9th mile, I met Jeff Okoli, who graduated from Nsukka, and we boarded the same car to Abuja. By the time we arrived at the Kubwa camp about 8 pm, 4 hours to close of arrival, I had only N50 left in my pocket. I never went back home that second break, by Mrs Adichie gave me a break that put me at the right place at the right time. 

I always wondered how my life trajectory would go if Mrs Adichie had taken the same position as the Deputy Registrar? Would I have won the NYSC Award if I came for service the next year? Would I have….Would I have? I will never know. All I know is that if not for Mrs Adichie, my life would have been different.

I had always planned to visit with her and tell her this story because I am sure she forgot all about it once I left with my troubles. I kept procrastinating. Now she is gone. Even if posthumously, I still say thank you. God willing, I will be at Abba to bid her farewell.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Veterinarians Preventing the Next Pandemic

Skip to main content Open Navigation Menu Most new diseases have their origins in animals. So why aren’t we paying more attention to their h...