The Brooklyn restaurant’s iconic wedge salad, dry-aged porterhouse, and beautiful burger pack up surprisingly well.
Peter Luger's
Peter Luger’s famous burger is sandwiched on a sesame bun with American cheese and a thick cross-section of raw white onion.Photographs by Gabriel Zimmer for The New Yorker

In his new biography of Mike Nichols, the critic Mark Harris details how, a few months into shooting Tony Kushner’s “Angels in America,” for HBO, the production fell behind schedule and Nichols’s “spirits started to flag.” What would cheer him up? “Most often, the answer was food,” Harris writes. Nichols’s then assistant would “go to Peter Luger’s every day to get him and the cast burgers for lunch.”

Until a few weeks ago, Peter Luger, which was founded in 1887, was just about the last New York restaurant I would have associated with takeout. I had loved it, once, but before the pandemic I hadn’t been in years. A family tradition of steak-fuelled birthday celebrations had fizzled out. On my last visit, in 2015, I’d sat in the overflow space upstairs, where wall-to-wall carpeting and generic banquet chairs were a sad substitute for the well-worn wooden floors and furniture that give the main dining areas the charming feel of a German beer hall. Luger’s atmosphere had always been at least half of the appeal; without it, the steep prices were hard to justify.

The restaurants dryaged porterhouse travels surprisingly well and its steak sauce is sold by the bottle.

When, in October, 2019, the Times gave the restaurant a scathing review, I was inspired to reassess for myself. I didn’t make it there before March of 2020, and, suddenly, it was too late. When a friend told me recently that she’d had Luger delivered, I was skeptical. But she’d enjoyed the experience so much that she repeated it, despite the cost. My expectations for delivery were measured. Then they were exceeded.

Opening a plastic-and-aluminum deli container to find the iconic wedge salad was like seeing an old friend: the refreshing crunch of tightly coiled ruffles of iceberg, the surprisingly juicy chopped tomato, the chunky blue-cheese dressing, the unmistakable, thick-cut, heart-clogging bacon. I was similarly exhilarated by the creamed spinach, the fried potatoes, and the chocolate mousse, with its enormous dollop of schlag (suspiciously if delightfully reminiscent of Cool Whip).

The Holy Cow sundae featuring vanilla ice cream hot fudge walnuts schlag and a cherry on top surrounded by Peter Lugers...

It wasn’t so much that any of the dishes stood out on their own—although I did note, as ever, how easily a knife slid through rosy slices of the dry-aged porterhouse—as it was that they shouted “steak house” loud and clear, making for a combination that I would never replicate on my own and that brings me the coziest pleasure. One of my favorite parts of my earliest Peter Luger visits was when an inevitably brusque yet joke-cracking veteran waiter would toss a handful of gold chocolate coins on the table with the check. In a paper bag of condiments, I found my beloved foil-wrapped disks.

The other day, I ventured back to headquarters. To mark the return to limited-capacity dining, Peter Luger announced a corny gimmick: celebrity wax figures, on loan from Madame Tussauds, would be seated between tables of warm-blooded customers. My lunch reservation was for a booth outside, but, freshly vaccinated and double masked, I could steal a peek at Audrey Hepburn.

The notoriously priced tomatoandonion appetizer  a slab of thickcut bacon.

At my table, in the shadow of the historic Williamsburgh Savings Bank building, I ordered another wedge salad (rapture, again) and a burger, a beautiful mass of luscious ground beef whose iodine tang played perfectly off a sweet, salty slice of American cheese, a fat cross-section of raw white onion, and a big, domed sesame bun. Inside the restaurant, there were no wax figures to be found; they’d gone back to Times Square after just five days. The dining room looked the same as ever, if subdued.

Before dessert—a Holy Cow sundae, with vanilla ice cream, hot fudge, and walnuts, plus schlag and a cherry on top—I asked for a burger to go, a spirit lifter for my husband, hard at work at his desk. “How do you want it cooked?” my slightly surly server asked. I hesitated. Medium? Medium rare? No, medium. “Get it medium rare and it will be medium by the time you get it home,” he said, with a twinkle in his eye. He was right. (Dishes $6.95-$114.90.) ♦